unit 1 – section a
58赌博●language focus – words in use
1. the mayor decided to (condense) his speech in order to leave enough time for his audience to raise questions.
58赌博2. it was reported that there was a vehicle missing every 20 seconds in the us. if the trends continue, experts predict annual vehicle thefts could (exceed) two million.
3. researchers put patients through a set of psychological tests to determine the negative consequences of sleep(deficit) .
58赌博4. too much (exposure) to dirty air can cause people to suffer from allergies and diseases that will eventually affect people's health.
5. moving forward even in the face of great difficulties has become my most important (asset) in my life since it has helped me accomplish something remarkable.
6. the lawyer proclaimed they couldn't jump to conclusions because acceptable conclusions must be supported by(adequate) facts and evidence.
7. to help the employees be more communicative, the company is offering workshops for those who may be professionally (competent) but socially awkward.
58赌博8. most parents, in fact, aren't very helpful with the problems that their sons and daughters have in (adjusting) to their college life.
9. you can count how many students passed an exam, but psychological and emotional feelings cannot be (precisely) measured.
10. in short, participation in sports is extremely (beneficial) for college students not only physically but also emotionally and socially.